Schizophrenia Disability Lawyer NY
If you have schizophrenia, you may find it hard for you to work and keep a job. Depending on the specifics of your condition, you may be able to collect disability benefits.
What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?
- You can have hallucinations: You may see, hear, feel or smell things that aren’t really there. You could also hear voices that tell you what to do or say negative things to you.
- You may have delusions: You may think you’re someone that you’re not. You could also think that someone, such as the government, is trying to control you.
- You may have a hard time with thoughts and speech: You may have a hard time organizing your own thoughts and your words could come out jumbled. You may also have difficulty following along when others talk to you.
- You may have trouble concentrating: You may lose track of things that happen or have a hard time following along with a TV show or a movie.
- You may be jumpy or not move much at all: Sometimes people with schizophrenia can be jumpy or they can sit perfectly still for long periods of time.
- You may withdraw from friends and family: You may seem morose and have difficulty planning things with other people.
- You could struggle with daily life: You could have problems taking care of yourself.
- You could lack follow-through: You could have trouble finishing things that you start and staying on schedule. This could greatly affect your ability to work.
- You may have a hard time with your working memory: It may be hard for you to keep track of multiple facts at the same time.
What steps do I need to take to apply for disability?
- You either need to not be able to work or match a listing in the Social Security Administration’s blue book. In the blue book, schizophrenia is listed along with other mental disorders.
- You will need to provide documentation of your medical condition. You need to provide documentation from a psychiatrist or other health care professional about how long your condition is expected to last. It should also include why this condition hinders your ability to have a successful career.
- You need to provide a variety of statements. You should write a statement on why schizophrenia makes it difficult for you to work at and keep a job. You should also include statements from people close to you.
Contact us if you have any questions.