It can be hard to know if you qualify for disability benefits with your medical condition. The following information can help you determine if you are eligible to apply for benefits.
Reasons to apply for disability benefits
There are several reasons that can qualify you for disability benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has particular standards that you must meet to qualify. If any of the following conditions apply to you, you may be eligible for benefits and you should apply for them.
– You have a severe medical or mental condition.
– Your condition is expected to last for at least one full year or result in your death.
– Your condition prevents you from earning at least $1,170 per month.
– Your condition prevents you from earning at least $1,950 per month if you are blind.
Reasons not to apply for disability benefits
There are occasions when, although, you believe you may be eligible for benefits it may not be the case. If any of the scenarios described below apply to you, it may not yet be time to apply for disability benefits.
– Your doctor does not believe your condition is severe.
– Your condition is expected to last for less than one year.
– You are able to earn at least $1,170 per month.
– You have not worked long enough to be eligible for SSDI benefits.
– Your family’s income or assets or assets are too high to receive SSI benefits.
Applying for benefits
If you fit the eligibility requirements, you can easily begin the application process by following a few steps.
– Gather the appropriate information.
– Social Security Number
– Contact information of your health care providers
– Names and dosages of all medications you are taking
– Medical records
– Laboratory and test results
– Information regarding the type of work you did and where you worked
– Your tax information
– Proof of any and all marriages
– Social Security numbers and ages of all children who may qualify for benefits
– Complete the online application. You may also complete the application over the phone or in person with your local SSA office.
Contact a lawyer
it is always a good idea to consult with a qualified and experienced disability lawyer who can help you through the process. Working with a legal representative can drastically increase your chances of having your case be accepted.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility or would like help with your application, contact the offices of Daniel Berger today. We are here to help you get the benefits you deserve.